Surf & Co Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Messageboard for lost members of the old surf.co.nz forum

5 posters

Man Caused Global Warming

Poll

Global Warmings primary cause is ...

[ 4 ]
    Man Caused Global Warming Bar_left67%Man Caused Global Warming Bar_right [67%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Man Caused Global Warming Bar_left17%Man Caused Global Warming Bar_right [17%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Man Caused Global Warming Bar_left0%Man Caused Global Warming Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Man Caused Global Warming Bar_left16%Man Caused Global Warming Bar_right [16%] 

Total Votes: 6
    scootertrash
    scootertrash

Man Caused Global Warming Empty Man Caused Global Warming

Post  scootertrash Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:40 am

I'm curious as to what the general consensus is
    is the scientific community making an error in hypothesising the "global warming" effect is real and man made ?
    Is science a look at theories or a factual end definition science because i understood science was in constant evolution so why the definitive reply "Global warming is Man Made " ?

Could enviroment changes be caused by events such as the eruption of Krakatoa on August 26–27, 1883, which was among the most violent volcanic events in modern and recorded history where average global temperatures fell by as much as 1.2 degrees Celsius in the year following the eruption. Weather patterns continued to be chaotic for years and temperatures did not return to normal until 1888..

With a Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) of 6,[3] the eruption was equivalent to 200 megatons (MT) of TNT—about 13,000 times the nuclear yield of the Little Boy bomb (13 to 16 kT) that devastated Hiroshima.

historically viewable
    535-536 event
    and what about ??????
    limnic erruption
    Mt Pinatubo
    Mt Hudson
    not to mention
    vesuvius

my point being any one of these eruptions ejected more particulates and pollutants into the Stratosphere than any human activity over all time has...how how is man the cause?

Oh yes i get we are polluting the planet but i'm polling on "is global warming Man Made" scratch
    seeka
    seeka

Man Caused Global Warming Empty Re: Man Caused Global Warming

Post  seeka Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:00 am

there was only one option to vote...so i voted 'natural', but i would have liked to have voted 'man' too.

the way i see it is that the planet naturally goes through temp changes but i think man has accelerated it to some extent.

if you view the clip i posted on pangea, then maybe that has some effect? if indeed the planet is slowly growing and effectively getting close to the sun.

so....i reckon that even if man did almost everything possible to revert the changes i think change would eventually still occur..it would just slow down a little....even swamps(which have been around since the beggining of time) release co2.

did you mention taupo's last eruption? i beleive that was one of the biggest eruptions ever and fallout dust/ash from that eruption has been found in main land china.

rabbit
    phoam
    phoam

Post  phoam Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:08 am

I can change the poll options so you can cast more than one vote, but when I get home tonight.
    Assjack
    Assjack

Post  Assjack Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:07 am

The Stupidity of little humans to think they are so powerful as to inadvertently destroy the planet
    we are but a passing species on its way to extinction
    bring on the post human period Very Happy
    groovn
    groovn

Post  groovn Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:40 am

Assjack wrote:The Stupidity of little humans to think they are so powerful as to inadvertently destroy the planet
    we are but a passing species on its way to extinction
    bring on the post human period Very Happy

you're right. We won't destroy the planet... but quite possibly ourselves.

As for this thread - I think it's missing an option "the debate is irrelevant".

Because whether or not "Global Warming" is "our fault" or a "natural cycle" - the inarguable fact is that we cannot keep on churning through finite resources the way we are without bringing about an end to certain things for a long, long time and possibly for "ever" in the context of human existence. Things like;

Clean, pure drinking water
    Forests
    Fish on your plate that is edible
    The experience of a quiet, serene place where the air is sweet
    A wave that is non-toxic and can actually be surfed
    Our very existence....
    phoam
    phoam

Post  phoam Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:36 am

interesting and confusing article in the Otago daily times today
    http://www.odt.co.nz/opinion/opinion/80329/climate-researchers-getting-warmer-unfortunately

Seems to me from what I read, 20 million years ago we had 450 parts per million, and temps were 3-6 degrees higher, with no ice caps..
    was man around then to cause this???
    no
    and in 5 years we are supposed to get 400 parts per million
    and pretty much the world will be foojked by 2060
    groovn
    groovn

Post  groovn Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:18 am

20 million years ago, I believe we had no humans at all...

might be very similar situation coming.
    scootertrash
    scootertrash

Post  scootertrash Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:30 pm

Or it could just be
    a natural warming cycle
    i hope we can make the effort personally today
    so the children have a better tomorrow !
    Basketball

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 9:28 am