Surf & Co Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Messageboard for lost members of the old surf.co.nz forum

+3
Bionic tARD
Assjack
scootertrash
7 posters

surfco back pedal ?

scootertrash
    scootertrash

surfco back pedal ? Empty surfco back pedal ?

Post  scootertrash Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:34 am

the forum vanishes again
    undone by an hours work by Phoam and free forums ?
    Assjack
    Assjack

surfco back pedal ? Empty Re: surfco back pedal ?

Post  Assjack Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:37 am

Spastics !!
    we bring em the advertising dollars and they treat us like spam
    Bionic tARD
    Bionic tARD

Post  Bionic tARD Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:41 am

what we need though is people finding out about this forum, 1 person can change the world but its much easier with a couple hundred.
    phoam
    phoam

Post  phoam Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:49 am

well originally I put this forum together as a sample to show surfco of what we wanted, thinking perhaps that they weren't forum people and weren't aware of the kind of features we were after.

And I had a spare few hours I wanted to distract myself from what I had to be doing last night.

But if some want to come over and use it for real, I guess thats fine, but I am sure surf.co.nz will always have lurkers and posters over there.. once they get their forums sorted.
    Bionic tARD
    Bionic tARD

Post  Bionic tARD Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:04 am

phoam wrote:well originally I put this forum together as a sample to show surfco of what we wanted, thinking perhaps that they weren't forum people and weren't aware of the kind of features we were after.

And I had a spare few hours I wanted to distract myself from what I had to be doing last night.

But if some want to come over and use it for real, I guess thats fine, but I am sure surf.co.nz will always have lurkers and posters over there.. once they get their forums sorted.

This forum is great, and who ever doesn't swap from surfco isnt worth having.
    seeka
    seeka

Post  seeka Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:29 am

thing is phoam, they didn't seem interested in what anyone said. almost everyone was pissed about the changes and made constructive criticisms to no avail.

then once you showed them what the majority wanted, they took it as a threat, spat the dummy and started to delete posts with links here...in my mind thats just childish. the mature thing to do would be to firstly thank you for going to the effort and then maybe actually take on board what you had suggested.

then admin comes back and starts giving the speil and making promises (insert desperation emoticon here)...i mean, how much input did they require? you did this in a matter of hours(well done btw) and they can't do anything in 4 days?..poor form.

i'm no techy but i think a good portion of their daily site hits would be the BB? and like others said, those hits will effect advertisers and eventually surfco's pockets.

seems to me like they have bitten a few fingers of the hand that feeds them.

i'm quite happy to read/post this forum and i have little doubt a good portion of the others will sign up.

good onya
    :thumbs up:
    groovn
    groovn

Post  groovn Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:50 pm

Bionic tARD wrote:
    phoam wrote:well originally I put this forum together as a sample to show surfco of what we wanted, thinking perhaps that they weren't forum people and weren't aware of the kind of features we were after.

This forum is great, and who ever doesn't swap from surfco isnt worth having.

wow! look how easy it is to quote!

look at these great smileys!!

cheers Basketball bounce santa

I wonder if I can say Penis....
    groovn
    groovn

Post  groovn Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:52 pm

amazing.

I can even say penis.

Well done phoam!

In the apparent snap of a finger you've pulled together what half a dozen guys working round the clock for a week couldn't manage.

Very Happy
    phoam
    phoam

Post  phoam Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:57 pm

I don't think its fair though to make a comparison like that though groovn

because they are coding their forum from scratch, whereas this forum is fairly easy to set up, most features here are standard, I just added a few bits, and customised some others.

try typing sh!t though
    or pen!s again

got a few tricks up my sleeve
    groovn
    groovn

Post  groovn Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:20 pm

male organ
    groovn
    groovn

Post  groovn Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:22 pm

dayummm!!! lookit you!!

But see it IS a fair comparison.. because for a surf magazine to "code their own" with so many robust and "canned" forum options out there is just a waste of resources.

Is coding a core competency of a surf mag? Is that the greatest use of talent - as determined by the output and value it will create for surfco or its readers? I'd argue, hell no.

but enough griping about their stuff up. This tidy little place will do nicely.

Smile
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:24 pm

groovn wrote:

Is coding a core competency of a surf mag? Is that the greatest use of talent - as determined by the output and value it will create for surfco or its readers? I'd argue, hell no.
    Smile

I stand corrected if I am wrong.
    But I believe that they need to code their own forum, so the hits/statistics for the forum are included in the hits for the whole website.

It is these hits that are presented to the advertisers as a traffic readership popularity thing, which enables them to secure money for advertising.
    This in turn allows them to run the swellmap service, which is now subscription free.

So it is a business decision, I am sure if they were able to include hits from a forum like this, they would have installed one, but I understand that traffic from one of these would not be able to be included?

They do have to run a business, and I understand their need to do things they way they have with the forum.
    Other big international surf websites and mags would not need to include hits from their forums because they have a big enough readership.
    groovn
    groovn

Post  groovn Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:29 pm

nah, that's not accurate mate. They can easily roll their bb stats into their overall website stats. Very common.

ahhh well, hey for whatever reason they've decided to go a route that by all accounts was a bit foolish. Yep, they're a business. And that's exactly why I judge them pretty harshly for;

not considering their customers wants and needs
    not bothering even to inform their customers of upcoming changes
    making changes that don't make business sense
    phoam
    phoam

Post  phoam Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:37 pm

Admin post above, had the wrong hat on, this is difficult with two usernames!
    I'd make a bad troll person.

well, I think that they will install a few new features over there, and get it almost right, enough to keep the loyal suck asses happy.

The analogy is like this:
    We had a decent house with some comfy old sofas at the old surfco forum, some wanted a more upmarket one with leather sofas.
    They then suddenly they gave us a shack with shiny walls and took away our furniture.

They will then develop it till its like a cute little shiny cottage with an outhouse & some bar stools, but it may never be the decent house it once was.

Maybe thats just what some people want
    Bionic tARD
    Bionic tARD

Post  Bionic tARD Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:10 am

groovn wrote:

not considering their customers wants and needs
    not bothering even to inform their customers of upcoming changes
    making changes that don't make business sense

I have to agree, what was the point in bringing in the new format half arsed. The best thing would of been to go to the people that make the forum what it is and ask what they like, what they dont like and what they think could make it better, then work on it till its 100% then launch.
    groovn
    groovn

Post  groovn Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:34 am

great analogy phoam!!!

and bionic, exactly.... the "smart approach" would have been to solicit some solid input, then develop, test, hone and then launch.

Very amateur move to just drop a bomb of unfinished crapoloa out there as their live site and work it from there. Not just the forum either, the whole site is jacked.

But, phoam's probably dead on. They'll beaver away on it until it becomes a semi-gloss little upscale beach cottage for the masses and BAM!!! you'll have a soulless lookalike of every other surf site out there.

Congrats boyz.
    scootertrash
    scootertrash

Post  scootertrash Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:43 am

would a good analogy be Microsoft vista ? bounce

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 11:14 am