Surf & Co Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Messageboard for lost members of the old surf.co.nz forum

+4
scootertrash
oldscool
seeka
kat
8 posters

The Mounties have Arrived

oldscool
    oldscool

The Mounties have Arrived - Page 2 Empty Re: The Mounties have Arrived

Post  oldscool Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:33 am

kat wrote:
    oldscool wrote:

albino

^^WTF is that 'sposed to represent Question

lol! I think you've just voiced what many of us were probably thinking

So you're coming over next weekend? You're not a swell-squisher like Groovn are you??

Such doubt in one so young. I'll just have a quick word to me ol' mate Huey and get him to turn the wave tap back on.
    Over on Sunday.

Better see if the wettie still fits. affraid
    robc
    robc

Post  robc Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:42 am

[quote="oldscool
    Such doubt in one so young. I'll just have a quick word to me ol' mate Huey and get him to turn the wave tap back on.
    Over on Sunday.quote]
    Na, flat again they say, you get the two fingered bunny os albino
    kat
    kat

Post  kat Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:47 am

Absolutely SCATHING article on the front page of our local rag about the non-reef here, as well as the one in Bournemouth. At least there seems to be consensus finally:

Headline says: "We paid $1.5m for a surf reef, the British paid nearly $7m for theirs. Now we may both be stuck with a

DEAD ZONE"

(Is this where I use the albino bunny for effect? Dum dum DUMMMMMM)
    phoam
    phoam

Post  phoam Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:33 am

reefs' ---- really Kat?
    which is your local paper?
    robc
    robc

Post  robc Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:15 pm

Bay of Plenty Times November 10, 2009

DEAD ZONE

We reported last week that Bournemouth was celebrating the successful construction of its new surf reef by the company that built Mount Maunganui's reef. But as soon as our report went online a Bournemouth councillor and local surfers contacted the Bay of Plenty Times to raise fears their reef may have the same "pathetic" impact as ours. Ellen Irvine
    reports

The New Zealand company that built Mount Maunganui's artificial surf reef has been copping criticism for its new reef in Britain.

Raglan-based reef design company Amalgamates Solutions and Research (ASR) was enlisted to help improve surfing conditions at Bournemouth by creating Europe's first artificial surf reef.

But feedback from the project is that it has fallen flat - a familiar scenario to Mount Maunganui surfers who say the reef at Tay St has been an expensive flop.

Bournemouth councillor Basil Ratcliffe contacted the Bay of Plenty Times with his reservations after reading online our latest reef story.

"I think the very first time there has been anything resembling a wave was for a day and a bit earlier this week. Until then we were advised that either the sea was 'not rough enough' or it was 'too rough'."

Mr Ratcliffe hoped the reef would improve over their coming winter.

"Personally, as an engineer myself, I am very sceptical about the whole thing, but only time will tell who is right," Mr Ratcliffe said.

The budget was originally estimated at 600,000 ($1.35m), but blew out over a decade to more than 3 million ($6.8 million).

Another Bournemouth resident who contacted the Bay of Plenty Times said the reef had been a disappointment.

"As it stands, the wave is a short, steep and shallow barrel on a take-off which soon pinches and fattens out.

"It's okay for bodyboarders wanting a fun drop, but other than that it's not good for much."

Contacted for comment, Shaw Mead of ASR pointed the Bay of Plenty Times to articles in The Sunday Times and The Independent in which local surfers praise the reef, and the Bournemouth Council.

"They are totally independent views of the reef. I'd much rather it came from that crew and the people we have done the job for."

Dr Mead said he did not know if the critics had an "awareness of what's going on".

ASR had received positive feedback, including from surfer Dan Hunter, who thanked the company for "creating a sick wave for all us long-suffering locals to ride".

The reef was built for a council project to turn Bournemouth into a surfers' paradise and help generate $27 million a year for the local economy.

ASR said the new reef would provide a "substantial benefit" to the Bournemouth community and increase tourism.

The project was originally due to be finished by December 2008 but construction was delayed until April this year due to bad weather.

The reef in England was created to improve surfing conditions by using 55 sand-filled "geotextile bags", weighing 2500 tonnes, which were anchored 225m out to sea. Its cost to the Bournemouth council doubled as short days, cold sea temperatures and stronger currents than expected cut down the time New Zealand divers could spend underwater.

Mount Maunganui's more modest $1.5 million reef off Tay St was completed in June 2008.

Local surfing personalities say the Tay St reef is a "dead zone" where a lack of surf means no one goes there to ride a wave.

Derek Winter, who has been surfing in Mount Maunganui since the 1970s, said the Mount Maunganui surf reef had been a huge disappointment for surfers.

Mr Winter, who owned surf shops in Tauranga for more than 20 years, said he had seen "rideable" surf just three or four times since the surf reef was completed in June last year.

"It's pretty pathetic. My main gripe is I believe the young people and the surfers in this area were sold a con or a lemon.

Dr Mead said yesterday there was "a lot of negative feeling" towards the Mount reef.

Earlier this year, Dr Mead told the Bay of Plenty Times the Mount reef had been over-sold and under-delivered. It provided heavy fast waves in the right conditions but it was not a wave-making machine.

Dr Mead said it was a fickle break, in which the swell had to be just right and conditions needed to come together for the reef to produce nice waves.

Footnote by Robc:
    There is also an interview with Derek Winter under this one on the front page, but it doesnt appear on-line, so you will have to get your hands on a local rag to read it - Robc[b]
    seeka
    seeka

Post  seeka Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:54 am

lol..fools and their money are easily parted...

anyone noticed google bots ad ^^^ for 12ft 'fiber' boards? lol! sounds like just the thing for surfing 'fiber' reefs.
    oldscool
    oldscool

Post  oldscool Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:50 pm

oldscool wrote:
    Better see if the wettie still fits. affraid

affraid Checked out the wetsuit and promptly gave Huey a call to cancell the waves whilst I shed some winter coat.

Sorry folks, maybe next w/end.
    kat
    kat

Post  kat Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:44 am

I'm going for a run up the Mount tomorrow morning so I can get a lovely clear view of Lake Maunganui.

Oldscool, I'm sending Complan in the post to you. And 4 lettuce leaves. Hurry up and shed that winter pudge so we can have our waves back please!! Mad
    oldscool
    oldscool

Post  oldscool Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:45 pm

Running up the Mount Question Question Question Question

Just as I suspected, Suspect

You're INSANE...... Shocked Shocked
    robc
    robc

Post  robc Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:55 pm

[quote="oldscool"]
    ....Checked out the wetsuit and promptly gave Huey a call to cancell the waves .....quote]

If you were still Goodvibes you would dial up a nuclear storm for us os pirat

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:38 am